There is much that might be said about sanctification, but here are a few key principles to remember about progressing in faith and growing in Christlikeness (derived primarily from 1 Peter 1:13-16):
- Sanctification is the natural outgrowth of the gospel and being saved by Christ.
- Sanctification is not a means of receiving grace but an expression of thanks for grace that has been received.
- Sanctification is a provision of God’s renewing work in salvation joined to our obedience.
- Sanctification is accomplished by renewing our minds so that we change the way we live — we don’t pursue sin and we do pursue righteousness.
- Sanctification means having our motives changed as well as our actions.
- The goal and purpose of all sanctification is to glorify and honor God.