This morning we considered the sign gifts — the gifts given by the Holy Spirit that were to authenticate the apostolic and prophetic message and messengers — and particularly the gift of tongues, which is the most commonly practiced sign gift today.
It is impossible to consider all the biblical teaching on the subject in one message, so here I post a number of other resources that will help you think about these gifts in a biblical manner.
- Busenitz, Nathan. A series of eight blogs on the topic of cessationism. There are also many other helpful posts at The Cripplegate on the Strange Fire conference and the charismatic movement.
- Edgar, Thomas. Miraculous Gifts: Are They For Today? Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2001. See also his article, “The Cessation of the Sign Gifts” from Bibleotheca Sacra.
- Gaffin, Richard B. “Where Have All the Spiritual Gifts Gone? A Defense of Cessationism.”
- Geisler, Norman. Signs and Wonders. Wheaton, IL: Tyndale House, 1988.
- MacArthur, John. Strange Fire: the Danger of Offending the Holy Spirit with Counterfeit Worship. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2013.
A conference by the same title, “Strange Fire,” was held at Grace Community Church (CA) last fall. The audio from that conference is available for free online. Of particular help is Tom Pennington’s message, “A Biblical Case for Cessationism.” The Master’s Seminary hosted a series of lectures on the sign gifts in January entitled, “Strange Fire Redux.” The audio for those messages is on the TMS website. MacArthur has also written two other very helpful books on the topic: The Charismatics and Charismatic Chaos.
- Mahue, Richard. Divine Healing Today. Chicago: Moody Press, 1983.
- Phillips, Dan. “Vern Poythress and the modern sorta-gifts.” (Part one | part two | part three) [There are many other helpful posts on the topic of the charismatic gifts on the Pyromaniacs website.]
- Schreiner, Thomas. “Why I Am a Cessationist.”
- Thomas, Robert L. Understanding Spiritual Gifts: A Verse-by-Verse Study of 1 Corinthians 12-14. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 1998.
- Waldron, Samuel E. To Be Continued? Are the Miraculous Gifts for Today? Amityville, NY: Calvary Press, 2007.
- Warfield, B. B. Counterfeit Miracles.
- Zaspel, Fred. “Spiritual Gifts.” This is a 23-lesson study and I have only read in it selectively. But what I have seen has been very helpful.