In his article “Counseling Discontented People,” Lou Priolo has made eight statements that define and reveal what contentment is:
- Contentment is realizing that God has already provided everything I need to glorify and enjoy Him.
- Contentment is realizing that true satisfaction can only come from building one’s life around those things that cannot be taken away or destroyed.
- Contentment is delighting in God more than in anything else.
- Contentment is being able to adjust the level of one’s desires to the condition and purpose chosen for him by God.
- Contentment is willingly submitting to and delighting in God’s wise and loving disposal in every condition of life.
- Contentment is knowing how to use the things of the world without being engrossed in them.
- Contentment involves putting the best possible interpretation on God’s dealings with oneself.
- Contentment is thanking God for those things about which one used to murmur and complain.