“Essential Actions After the Election” Pt. 2
2 Timothy 4
November 6, 2016
This Sunday we conclude the brief sermon series, “Election Essentials,” where we have considered a number of topics related to the coming election. During this series we have examined:
- The role and responsibility of government — what should governments do and what should their leaders be like?
- The responsibility of the believer to the government — what should our actions and attitudes be towards the government and governors over us?
- How to train our consciences to vote with wisdom in the election
- The kinds of attitudes we should cultivate prior to the election (unity, gracious words, and confidence in our eternal hope)
- The essential issue in the election — God’s sovereignty over everything, which should stimulate our trust in Him
- Essential actions to practice after the election, which focused primarily on enduring in Christ and teaching the Scriptures because we are confident in God
This final sermon in the series is a culmination of last week’s message, “Essential Actions After the Election” (Pt. 2). The message is taken from Paul’s final words of counsel to his protégé, Timothy, in 2 Tim. 4:1-8.
The theme of that passage and this message is:
When living in difficult days, be faithful to your calling from God.
It’s easy to be overwhelmed and discouraged by the degradation of these days; but our calling from God has not changed and opportunities for gospel ministry have never been greater.
What will we do when it appears that our world is disintegrating morally? Here are five priorities for every believer in the last days (and all believers have always seemed to be in the “last days,” 3:1) —
- Preach the Word (vv. 1-4)
- Endure Hardship (v. 5a)
- Evangelize Unbelievers (v. 5b)
- Fulfill Your Ministry (v. 5c)
- Anticipate Your Reward (vv. 6-8)
Download the rest of this sermon from 2 Timothy 4.
The audio will be posted on the GBC website later today.